Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Dare I say, Good News?

22 weeks + 3 days, 5 weeks 5 days post rupture

Appointment today at the fetal medicine clinic with Dr. K. The hospital associated clinic that I go to is divided in the following ways. It has a maternal medicine clinic where I see Dr. S. It has a fetal medicine clinic where I see Dr. K, and it has an ultrasound clinic across the hall that is a separate entity, but that does all types of OB ultrasounds (NT scans, Anatomy scans etc). So far in this pregnancy I've seen Dr. S. at his clinic (maternal medicine), and I've seen Dr. K. on his days acting as the physician at the ultrasound clinic, but I hadn't yet seen Dr. K. at the fetal medicine clinic.

Anyway, the reason this is important is because I really like the fetal medicine clinic. Anyone who is booked there has an ultrasound automatically at every visit. Their notes are done on computer so at the end of the appointment you can ask for a print out of all the measurements they took during your scan. The ultrasounds are done by nurses (rather than techs) who are really nice and actually TALK to you during the scan and tell you what they are seeing. PLUS if you're REALLY lucky you get the room where there is a screen for mom to watch the ultrasound in real time while they do it (I lucked out today!). Although this was the clinic that first discovered my placental abnormality with Aidan, where we first knew things would likely not be okay (bad memories), out of all the places I go for care, I like it the most.

Anyway, I was really nervous again going into this appointment. I'm terrified every time I leave the safety of my house that I'll leak and it really sucks when it happens in a public place. I usually just want to get these appointments over with.

We were called in and the nurse doing my scan was really nice. She went over all my medical history and actually asked how this was affecting us mentally. ie: How was Brian going to work? How was my family coping? What were our concerns? We FINALLY felt able to tell someone "Look, I'm terrified to go into labour at home and that I won't make it to the hospital in time. My blood pressure dropped significantly last time and as much as I want this baby to be okay, I REALLY need me to be okay". She was really nice about it and I felt heard. Then she did my scan.

While my placenta still looks grossly abnormal, it's doing it's job nicely. Baby is getting normal blood flow through it's cord and to it's brain. My uterine arteries are getting normal flow to the placenta. The baby's head and abdomen are both more 'oval' shaped than normal, but contain all normal structures and are growth appropriate when the circumference is measured rather than the diameter (if you measure the diameter they look at the narrow part, not giving a good picture of how big the baby actually is).

She was able to see the heart in better detail than at my anatomy scan and confirmed that from what she could visualize the heart looked normal. Best part was that she was impressed with my fluid level and my AFI was 11!!! That is NORMAL! I have been retaining fluid. It's not just my imagination. Next she checked my cervix which I was worried about going in, since the tech last time told me it was 2.5cm (down from 3.2cm at 16 weeks). The nurse looked and said "it's almost 4cm long, and closed"!!! YEAH! That's the longest it's been measured this pregnancy so I hope it's accurate. She tried really hard to see the sex, but Acorn's legs were firmly folded close and he (or she) wouldn't let us get a shot. As much as it would be nice to know, I honestly was too happy about my fluid and cervix to care.

After we got all this good news it was on to Dr. K's office. As per my ultrasound photos he thinks that there is quite a bit of normal tissue anchoring my placenta to the uterine wall and that is why I'm not bleeding like I did with Aidan. This normal tissue is also keeping my uterus 'quiet' so that I'm not having too many contractions (although I am having a few, occasionally, usually if my bladder is full or if the baby is moving a lot). He felt the baby and I are doing as well as can be expected given my placental condition, but was considerate to the fact that I am very anxious being at home given my prior history and my current situation. So the plan is to admit me to hospital next Thursday, when (by dates) I will be 24 weeks! Although I'm still nervous about getting to that point, I'm feeling better that a plan is in place and that hopefully soon I will feel safer. I think Brian is happy with this too. It's been so stressful for him, being afraid he's going to have to rush me to the hospital at any time. We also got all the consent signed for the BioBank collection of the placenta. So that's in place too.

Now it's just waiting. Hopefully no more leaking, no infection, no bleeding, no contractions and keep Acorn growing. Just gotta keep everything status quo. It feels good to have some hope, something to shoot for, but nerve racking too. We've been down this road before...the waiting to be admitted to wait for our baby to grow...and we didn't make it. Is this the calm before the storm? Or an indication of good things to come?

Please, please, please...

Anyone been admitted to hospital for long periods of time? Can you think of things I should pack? Also, thank you everyone who has been keeping up with me and leaving me comments. I love hearing from all of you. It helps me not feel so alone.

35 comments:

  1. What crazy awesome news!! I am beyond excited for you that you are headed to the hospital next week! For some reason "the hospital" seems like such a safe place to me for you to be right now to help things out even more so!

    Congrats on all your wonderful news! I can't wait to hear more great updates!

    Lots of Love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's such an amazing turn around!!! I hope everything continues to look up and goes as smoothly as possible. You're in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Basking in the glow of the good news of this moment!! I know we all worry about good news changing, but here's to hoping for more good news through the rest of your pregnancy! Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news about the fluid! And the blood flow! And your cervix! And about time you got a bit of good news.

    My fingers are still crossed for you and Acorn, and I'm sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great news! Absolutely, positively fantastic news! Keep holding on to that hope...

    As for the hospital, what about taking your own pillow to make you more comfortable?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news!!! Yay for good blood flow!!! Yay for your cervix closed!!! YAY!!

    Still praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such amazing news!! I think about you every day and am so happy to hear things are turning around. Hoping the next week goes by super fast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful news! I am so happy for you. It's some hope so I say grab ahold of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can not even tell you how happy I am to hear this, and to know you got to look at your gorgeous Acorn today.

    I am keeping everything crossed for you Emily. Everything.

    And woot-woot to 24 weeks next week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such great news!!! I am really thinking about you and little Acorn. My first experience with abruption in my first pregnancy (when I was young and naive) I was put in the hospital on bedrest. Take a soft blanket of your own, and a comfy pillow or two. Magazines, books, laptop, lots of stuff to keep you busy. It gets boring. But when youre there for reason like this, I know, its much easier to make it through at the thought of hanging on and delivering a healthy baby. Your Acorn is pretty amazing. He or she is holding on tight!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi there.. Just a lurker who is gunning for you.. I lost a set of twins at 23 weeks and was on bed rest from 15 weeks and hospital bedrest from 24-31 weeks with my second twin pregnancy.. take pillows blankets, photos, I watched the whole series of will & grace... Once you've had a preterm loss the hospital bed rest was a blessing and made me feel safe... Hoping for many more weeks for you and lo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think a subscription to Netflix might be in order!

    ReplyDelete
  13. GREAT NEWS!!! With Bobby and Maya, I was in the hospital from 20w5d until they were born at 27w5d. I had my laptop, lots of books, and lots of PJs. I slept a lot, too, which helped pass the time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very glad to see your good news. Keep up the good work Emily (doing as little as possible) and Acorn(growing).

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG!!! Fantastic news, so happy to read good news! Thinking of you & sending so many positive thoughts, prayers, and hope your way that all continues drama free and you get admitted to the hospital next week where you can get continued reassurance & support. My sister was in the hospital on bed rest for about three weeks. If you like to read definitely bring books, magazines, and if you have a laptop I would absolutely include that! Hoping to hear more continued good news ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay!! I am happy to hear Mr. Potter is doing well and staying out of trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you've got some good news. Hang in there! Sending you thoughts of strength and hope.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic news! You and Acorn are constantly on my mind and it is wonderful to read of how good things are right now and that you will be admitted to the hospital at 24 weeks.

    If you like to read make you sure you stock up on a few good books for your hospital stay. Have you read the Hunger Games trilogy? I highly recommend it.

    Praying for you, mama, and Acorn too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What wonderful news! So glad you're almost to that point where you can be looked after around the clock in the hospital and know that Acorn has a fighting chance!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such hopeful news! I am thinking of you tonight and hoping so hard that this is a turning point for you and for Acorn.. a turing point in a very good direction!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great change to get hopeful news! I know the prospect of staying at the hospital is a mixed bag, but being right where the care is will be such a mental relief. I have not had to stay in the hospital for long, but I think that fated laptop would be at the top of my list. Do you like puzzles? I got hooked on sudoku during my many bedrest periods - kind of mindless but engaging. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Best news I've heard in ages! Grinning from ear to ear for you.
    I hope the good news continues!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is just beautiful!!!

    I don't know if I should keep commenting or not, so I have kept quiet, but I just see so many similarities with our pregnancies, and I really feel that I can offer you some encouragement.

    I was in the hospital for 5 and a half week son bedrest. I didn't go in until 26.5 weeks though, because she wasn't viable at 24 weeks, and really, she wasn't viable when I went in. I brought my computer and I blogged a lot. I was too anxious to read. I watched a few movies on Netflix. I brought a needlepoint to work on, although I was too anxious to do that as well. In all honesty, they had her on the monitor every 4 hours. It seemed like doctors were always visiting, or the nurses, or my social worker. I didn't have long periods of time to fill, and when I did, I tried to sleep. My husband brought me things as I needed them. I lived in hideous nightgowns from WalMart, even though a lot of the other moms on bedrest wore sweats. I watched tv a lot.

    I do hope they will eventually give you a private room. I hated rooming with the girl who complained endlessly about her previa, when my complete previa was the least of my worries!

    Bring earplugs and earphones. You will hear the heartbeats on the monitors of the women next to you and in the rooms next to you. It gets annoying and loud, especially at 2 in the morning when they are trying to find the heartbeat of twins for a full hour.

    This is very exciting!!!! Keep your hope alive!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so happy to read this wonderful news!

    I was in the hospital last year on bed rest before Harper's delivery. Here are some of my suggestions...earplugs, books (but like above post, I was way too anxious to read), laptop, DVDs, some of your favorite snacks/drinks, pictures, your own pillow, some of your husbands t-shirts or some comfy PJs so you don't have to wear a hospital gown the whole time. Things that remind you of home b/c you will miss your own space. Thinking of you and sweet acorn!

    Just keep holding onto this new hope! You are doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh Emily! I am SO happy to hear of it! Sending positive thoughts to you, Brian and Acorn!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Perhaps the amniotic sac hole has plugged itself up(as often can happen) and sealed up the leak? If so this is GREAT news! I am so hopeful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yeah!!!! Such welcome good news. Never had hospital bed rest but I think tv shows on Netflix are kind of mindless and an easier thing to get distracted by than heavy movies or books. However, I do think YA novels are much easier to get into when you need to be distracted but the focusing is difficult -- The Hunger Games series or The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I'm sure there's others but that's what I've read and what I've enjoyed. Keep updating!! Again, so happy for you, Acorn and the husband!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so happy to hear this. I'll be thinking of you and Acorn.

    ReplyDelete
  29. SO happy to read this Emily! Hang in there! <3

    ReplyDelete
  30. Keeping those vibes heading across the ocean to you and keeping you all in my thoughts. Yay for your tentatative good news :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am so happy to read this post. Thinking about you and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am so happy that you got some good news! I think it is good you guys have a plan in order to be admitted to the hospital.
    Always thinking about with you, Acorn, and Aidan

    ReplyDelete
  33. So GLAD to hear the good news. Hope is good!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I wanted to pop in with a positive story about a hospital stay- My best friend had a partial placental abruption at 22 weeks where a portion of her placenta actually tore off. She dilated and started going into labor, which the doctors state happened because her body was trying to pass the part that ruptured (thank God it did or they said it could have caused a lot of problems being stuck in there floating around). Anyway, long story short- she was just released (and still pregnant!) at 34 weeks! She spent the majority of her time on magnesium sulfate, morphine and percocet to control the pain (the portion of her uterus where the abruption took place was internally bruised and very painful, as her uterus grew the wound stretches. ouch.. Bring a laptop, buy a kindle if you don't have one (you can read SO much more this way), and if you have a phone with internet like a droid download wordswithfriends. I play this with her every day and it gives her something to do to pass the time. It's a whole lot of boring, and it really started to wear on her after she realized she had spent a couple months in the hospital. But I wanted to let you know because it's amazing what doctors are able to do when you are at a hospital, they monitor you so closely (she was never without a contraction monitor), and can respond to your and babies needs much faster. She knows everything that happened was totally worth it- those 12 weeks got her well enough to be released to home bed rest until her body delivers on its own. You'll develop lots of relationships with nurses so you can have many conversations with them. Also, ask if they do a group with all the women there are on bed rest. I read on one board the hospital, once a week, would wheel all of the women to a common area and let them hang out for awhile. If this isn't being done, I would ask because it's a good way to meet other people who are there too and can really empathize with what's happening to you. My prayers are with all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am so amazed at your placenta and its ability to function for your son!! Just wanted to drop by and give you a virtual ((((hug)))). I am glad that our comments do make a difference and encourage you.

    ReplyDelete