Thursday, June 23, 2011

Boo

29 weeks + 5 days, 13 weeks post rupture, day 44 at my parent's place.

So my fluid levels are low at 2.5cm.

Damn.

I've been leaking pretty heavily and consistently all week, and although I still feel movement it's more of a tight rolling feeling (which I equate with low fluid), rather than quick pops so I'm not surprised. Still it's disappointing and worrisome. All other parameters are the same. Acorn still has good movements, still has breathing motions, bladder was full and cord flow is normal. Cervix is 4cm long (this measurement changes so much I have no idea how accurate it is, but I guess bigger is better). They didn't do the measurements of the baby today, which makes me sad because weekly growth is nice to see, even if it's only an estimate.

Dr. S.'s instinct at this point is not to deliver, HOWEVER...with fluid levels that low he's concerned about cord compression, so he would like to admit me to hospital for twice daily NSTs. Boo.

The plan is to go to hospital tomorrow and monitor Acorn's heart rate over the weekend. If Acorn starts having decels then we might be looking at delivery sooner rather than later. If my low fluid levels are just a 'blip' and an ultrasound next week shows increased levels, then he would be happy for me to continue to be at home. My concern is, what if on Monday Acorn has shown a good heart rate over the weekend and looks just fine on the monitors, but continues to have low fluid levels? My bet is that they will want to keep me. And while I'm all for doing everything in Acorn's best interest, I'm loathe to spend anymore time in hospital than I absolutely have to. Infection causing bugs, crappy beds, awful food, expensive parking and astronomical costs for a private room are what lies at the hospital...not a place I want to be if I can help it.

Dr. S. did say that his 'secret suspicion' is that Acorn's lungs are going to be okay, as he or she has had adequate amounts of amniotic fluid for the weeks that were very important for lung development. He can't 'guarantee' that of course, but it's nice to hear him say it. It still doesn't completely alleviate our worry over Acorn's lungs...but it helps a bit. Our goal right now is to build up fluid (come on hole, seal up!), avoid infection, avoid cord compression and make it as long as possible in order to avoid 'preemie' problems. It still feels like an up hill battle. Just keep going. One foot in front of the other.

We also discussed his impending vacation from weeks 31 to 34 of my pregnancy. He told me that one of two doctors would be taking over my case. Neither of them are Dr. K. However, one of them I have met and liked and (bonus!) she's a woman. As I've previously mentioned, I would have chosen a female OB from the start if I had any choice in the matter, so I might just get this one tiny, now insignificant, wish granted. Joy.

So, my next update will be from my hospital bed. Let's hope it's a good one.

17 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear that you are actually having discussions with your doctor and not just frustrating/negative appointments! Keeping my fingers crossed for you and Acorn, although things are looking more and more hopeful. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you good baby thoughts! Even if you have to stay at the hospital now at least you had the past 44 days of peace and quiet at your parents house. And look how far you've come! I found your blog when you were about 20 weeks along -so glad that every time I check you and Acorn are still trucking along.

    I had PROM at 30 weeks and delivered my little guy at 30 weeks 5 days in January of this year. Lucky for us, we had a rather uneventful 40 day NICU stay and now have a healthy, happy baby who seems to have escaped the big "preemie problems".

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It always sounds like you and Acorn are being taken such good care of. I know you're dreading the hospital, but I'm thankful that you had the time to relax at your parent's house.

    Every day gets you a little closer...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very happy and relieved to hear Dr. S's 'secret suspicion', sounds really good.

    I do hope that you will be able to stay out of hospital for as long as possible. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer female Ob doctors also. I hope you get to have her as your Dr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about the leaking, but it's great news that Dr. S. suspects the lungs are okay. Fingers crossed for you. I hope the hospital is a bit easier for you this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm hoping your stay in hospital is better than you are dreading - some things obviously can't be improved, but as long as you and Acorn get some good care. Thinking hole-healing, infection-staying-away thoughts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be thinking of you and Acorn, Emily. I hope your friends and family can bring you lots of yummy food while you're in there, at the very least.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Waiting anxiously for your next update!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hang in there! the news of hospital is annoying, but hey, you have made it incredibly far, and that has got to give you some hope and cheering up. I have a lot of hope for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, so impressed Dr S is actually sounding a bit positive! I would feel great about that. I'm glad he talked with you about who would be taking over while he's away - it's good to get all the cards on the table. Hope you have a good relationship with whoever you end up with!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What has to happen for them to say times up...baby is coming out? And would they do that after this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't posted here before, but I've followed you for a very long time. I just wanted to say that every day when I get to work I check your blog to make sure Acorn is still hanging in there. I'm really just saying that I'm thinking about you guys everyday, just a stranger in the world of the internet. Crossing my fingers, toes and eyes for you. (Ugh, editing)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will be waiting with literal baited breath.....Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is the woman Dr O? I <3 her.
    So glad to read this positive news today.

    ReplyDelete