Thursday, December 15, 2011

Twelfth Night

It's 10 days 'til Christmas and Twelfth Night occurs 12 days after Christmas (January 6th). Twelfth Night has religious and historical significance, and is the name of a very funny play by William Shakespeare which I really enjoyed reading in Grade 9.

This coming Twelfth Night has now taken on a different significance...

It's the date set for Kaia's surgery and casting.

And it's only 3 weeks away!

The surgeon's secretary called me yesterday to tell me the date and I about fell off my chair. I was thinking we weren't going to be scheduled until February at the earliest. I figured I would have some time after Christmas to start thinking and planning for 'cast time'...but it will be here before I know it.

On the one hand, it will be good to get it over with as soon as possible. The sooner the cast goes on, the sooner it will come off. With Kaia being casted in early January, she should be out of it by early April. She would have been in a cast well into May if we started in February. Also, January, February and March are easily the worst weather months here in Canada, (unless you like to ski), so it won't be such a chore to stay indoors.

On the other hand...

MY BABY IS GOING TO BE IN A BODY CAST FOR 3 MONTHS!

No more squishy baby hugs.
No more cute outfits unmarred by the unsightly cast.
No more baths.
No more easy, snap in and out car seat.
No more sleeping in the bassinet in our room. She won't fit, and will have to move to her own crib.
No more easy diaper changes.
No more 'aww, look at the cute baby' when we go out. I'm sure instead we'll get looks of pity and possibly suspicion that Kaia was in some way dropped or hurt. ie: Why is your BABY in a CAST?

It's only 3 months, but when your kid is currently only 5 months old...3 months seems like a LONG time.

Then I remember that kid is Kaia, who after surviving this last year and earning the title "the girl who lived", laughs in the face of 3 months in a body cast.

It's just her parents who will have to get use to the idea.

4 comments:

  1. it will go by faster than you know!
    I think you can get a car seat from the hospital to use. Make sure it is not expired and looks clean.

    Honestly I would buy a Diono R120 it has low sides and can work well with her cast. It also has a high rear facing weight so she can rear face as long as possible. (Best way for anyone to ride in a car!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm sure it will be extremely difficult while you're going through it, but once it's over, it won't seem so bad, and will be completely worth it. i hope everything goes smoothly! in the meantime, have a very merry christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right, the sooner it starts the sooner it'll be done. Poor girl, though, just what she's gone through in her tiny little life is amazing! I hope you guys hold up well throughout, it cannot be easy to see the things you see your baby going through. On the bright side she'll be ready to go by spring!

    Have wonderful holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least her kissable cheeks won't be in a cast!!! They'll get extra loving =)

    She's so young, she won't remember either, which is another great thing. I had to have surgery when I was 12 months old that required my hands be bandaged up to my elbows, making me look like I'd been burnt (It was mouth surgery, the bandages kept me from picking out the stitches) My mom says she got all sorts of terrible looks. I don't remember, so to me - it's like it never happened =)

    ReplyDelete